Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Lender bad. Designer good.

Still no word from the lender today- email or phone call. Amazing someone can be that busy. I'm working on three separate projects today (a new logo for Coldwell Banker, some tags for a Travelocity spot, and a new Qwest spot) and can find time to play with my son. What's up with that lender?

Anyways, the bright spot for today: We got plans from the designer based on our meeting and they are completely awesome! LeAnne and I can't stop looking at them. Every little detail is there and it came in under 1700 sq. ft. I can't believe he was able to figure out the puzze of how to make it work but somehow he did. My absolute favorite detail is there- the stairs with the wraparound return that becomes a bench in a mudroom kind of thing:
It's funny... Designing this whole house for me has started from this picture. I wanted a side door that looked exactly like this picture. I didn't care about much else, as long as I could get this one detail in there. John Croom is the man, though- somehow he was able to get every single thing in there- We are in awe right now.

We had been saying that we would sacrifice parts of the house so that we could have the lot on Master's Lane, but now after looking at this plan and seeing how perfect it is- I think we're going to reconsider the lot. This is a delicate puzzle, and I feel like the whole thing will come crashing down if you move but one little piece. We're having a meeting with him tomorrow to discuss the plans- there's one little elevation thing I want to change, but overall we are so happy. It's so odd to look at a plan and not have little things here and there that you want to move and flip.

Because of the slowness today on the lender side of things, I drove around Wilmington and looked at some lots that we had considered out of our price range the first time around. There are some really beautiful lots around and I think we might be able to find something cheaper after all. I drove down a little gravel street off Masonboro Sound Road and it opened up into one of the most beautiful pieces of land I have ever seen in Wilmington. HUGE live oaks everywhere... A beautiful view of Masonboro Island (I think). It literally took my breath away. I got back and checked out the lot on line. $1,079,000. I'm really curious what the $79,000 is for, but I suppose it's to give some haggle room to keep the price high. I'm going to drive LeAnne down there to take some pictures to show how incredible this place is.

Anyway, here are our plans for now (check out those stairs/mudroom):

1 comment:

  1. What a fun blog! Thanks for stopping by mine today and leaving a comment so I could see what you're up to over here.

    Those stairs with the wraparound that turns into a bench is so beautiful and clever! I would choose that any day over a grand, Gone with the Wind staircase. Love it.

    Also have to tell you I laughed so hard at the post about the Crappy House. You nailed it! Our town is filled with variations on that theme. Pretty much impossible to buy anything that doesn't resemble the Crappy House. Ugh--those arches above the front doors! The two-story family rooms! Why are they still building those? When we were house-hunting, I got so discouraged by the cookie-cutter ugliness.

    Good luck with your Not So Big House. I can't wait to see how it progresses!

    ReplyDelete